Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Spiral Staircase on the Sabbath

Currently I am wrapped up in a white sea of blankets listening to the call to prayer radiate throughout the city.  The sun, a glowing ball of fire, dips slowly behind the black silhouette of the city.  The sunsets in Jerusalem are picturesque.  The wind has picked up since dinner and viciously tears at the windows and doors.  I feel at peace, protected from the storm, in my warm bed.  As I reminisce on today’s adventures, I cannot help but smile, it was a glorious Sabbath.  After a delightful breakfast in the Oasis, I took my book and ventured outside the seventh floor where a beautiful garden, grassy hill and a clear sky awaited me.  All of the students were getting ready for church…I had the whole level to myself.  I thrive in the moments where I can slip out of the hectic itinerary and enjoy an hour solely for myself.  I take the time I have to focus on my goal: to feed my burning desire to know Christ, to learn as much as I can about Him and His life.  As I read Jesus the Christ, I looked out over the Old City to ponder on concepts I read and a deep feeling of gratitude overwhelmed my heart.  The Savior lives.  He will one day return atop Mt. of Olives. The experiences occurring in my life right now are surreal.  I am living a dream.
 
Sacrament meetings here are unbelievable.  A large organ covers the back wall; the ceilings soar over the Forum chairs, reaching up into the heavens.  The walls are all made up of glass windows; natural light illuminates the room.  The acoustics are amazing and make musical numbers unbelievable.  My favorite part is the view we get as we partake of the sacrament and listen to the speakers.  The towering window overlooks the entire city; the speakers have the most incredible back drop imaginable.   Our brilliant professors, some of the most notorious Biblical scholars in the world, teach Sabbath School. 
 
A highlight of Relief Society: when our Relief Society President taught us how to sing
“I Am a Child of God" in Arabic: 

Ana Mawlood ul laah, Arsalani huna
As’tani baytan ardiyan wa usra a’ziza
Imshi janbi wah anni kay uloq Lat tariq
Alimni ma_afa’al kay, Arji’e libayt abi

It does not matter what language, country, or nationality, we are all children on God!

I then jumped into a bus with eight other students and had the opportunity to journey to the Christian Quarter this afternoon to The Elderly Supportive Community Service Society.  This is a charity organization instituted to feed, provide health care, and basically love the elderly neglected in the Old City.  We weaved in and out of the narrow streets of the Old City until we arrived at a small white door.  We were greeted by Raja, the founder.  He invited us in and talked to us for a moment about the history of this organization and why he does what he does.  Raja, previously a hard-core drug addict, changed his direction of life when most of his friends died from overdoses and his life spiraled out of control.  He then led us up a concrete spiral staircase to the top of his humble home where he now lives, eats, and breathes running this charity organization.  He feeds and provides aid for 150 elders around the Old City.  He also facilitates work for young disabled boys by giving them the opportunity to deliver food to the elderly.  It is not uncommon for people with disabilities to be subject to beatings, stoning, and humiliation on the streets of the Old City.  He saves these young boys and gives them a reason to be respected in the Old City.  He began to get emotional as he described these boys.  He said, “They are not crazy, they are simple and good-hearted people.”

His life story emulates how difficult it is to live in the Old City without being affiliated with one of the predominant religions here.  He is a Christian but does not practice any specific denomination.  By using his mother’s name (she is affiliated with the Catholic religion) he is able to stay in the Christian Quarter.  He does not want to be preached to, he lives to love and serve.  One of the most touching things he said: “We have enough pastors here; we need people to testify of Christ through their actions.  Show me who Jesus is by what you do.”  The walls of the home depicted Christ in various art forms.  I began to get teary-eyed, as I wondered around his home.  This man has lived in this extremely modest home, in the nook of the Old City, his whole life.  He does not serve for fame or recognition, he serves because he loves the Lord and he sincerely desires to save lives.  He is the epitome of a charitable Christian.  I feel honored to have met him.  

He then took us to three homes he visits regularly.  The first home belonged to a widow and her son.  A smile remained on this widow’s face from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed.  She has lived in the Old City for 80 years.  She repeatedly told us that she is always happy and loves living.  Her son was born in the room next to where we were sitting.  Her son had a long gray pony-tail, black shirt, and faded-fitted jeans; it was to no surprise when he told us he works for National Geographic and recently won a prize from France for his documentary film.  We sang a few hymns for them and listened intently while the woman spoke in her broken English about her life as her son lovingly watched her.  The second home we went to was an ex-pastor.  Many years ago, he had a stroke while he was giving a sermon.  This left him speechless and in a wheelchair.  We walked in to him smoking from his hookah in the kitchen, smiling.  I won’t lie, we could not help but laugh as he and Raja had a little bonding moment smoking.  He was so excited to see Raja and plastered multiple kisses on his cheek while we were there.  It was extremely apparent that they have cultivated a pure friendship over the years.  The third home was owned by a short, elderly woman wearing a hot pink Mumu.  She resembled the old woman off The Sword and the Stone.  She had a total of three teeth and a heart of gold.  She has lived in this one room apartment her whole entire life. As part of the culture, it is only appropriate to offer food and a beverage to guests.  We munched on some candy, talked with her, and sang hymns for her.  “I am a Child of God” was her favorite.  It was an incredible afternoon.  I saw, firsthand, the life of a few remarkable individuals.  

The Lord lives and His love can be found in the charitable brown eyes of Raja, the smile of the widow, or the candy of Miss Mumu.  A year ago today, I was a freshman in college most likely sitting in the library studying.  I would never, in a million years, have imagined myself learning about charity and the pure love of Christ from individuals in the deep-crevices of the Old City.  I am constantly enlightened every day, for this world has so much to offer.  I have one life to live…how am I going to live it?  I hope to continue progressing upward on my own “Spiritual Spiral Staircase” as I come unto Christ and live a life that fully enables His power to take me up into His arms.  He lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment