Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shephelah Field Trip

Monday: 12 hour Field Trips (This week we had the opportunity to travel to various Tels around Israel and the Valley of Elah.)


 
The Flowers are Blossoming
 
Chadwick (our Brilliant Professor) showing us his Archeological Project in Gath
 
Israel is absolutely breathtaking this time of year; it is as if someone painted the rolling fields with vibrant green paint.
This is Tel Lachish-My favorite Tel.  We learned of our Israelite ancestors. This is the site of an ancient battle where our ancestors desperately fought for their lives against the Assyrians. My Old Testament teacher started to get emotional as he depicted the history.  The Old Testament is coming alive to me. We are of the House of Israel!!!!


One of my favorite places we visited: Vally of Elah aka where the righteous, young David defeated Goliath! I sat in awe...I have heard this notorious story countless times and I AM HERE! I looked out to the field and tried to put myself in David's shoes...I could not breath for a moment. He is such an incredible example of faith.  I know that when we put our faith and trust in the Lord, we will not fail.  A reenactment of the story took place, as seen by the towering Brock of 6'5 and little Sabrina, Brother Muhlestein's daughter. They were fabulous actors.
 
We had the opportunity to learn how to use the slings
 
The Bell Caves. Light poured in through the holes in the ceilings. Bats dangled from the cave walls. We sang hymns in here and the acoustics were glorious!
Marisa. Due to the Israelites' need to fertilize the land, offer sacrifices, and eat, this place was home to thousands of birds.
My Favorite Professor (Brother Muhlestein) and I at an original olive-press, used in the time of Christ.
We arrived home after 12 hours, exhausted, muddy, and starving!

No comments:

Post a Comment