Sunday, February 20, 2011

The "Every Day Loves" of Jerusalem

The Magnificent Sunsets EVERY NIGHT
 
Playing soccer (and other sporting tournaments) out in West Jerusalem
Eating Shabbat Bread from the Suks

 
Open Markets (This is the Suk)
Visiting Glorious Monasteries, Cathedrals, Churches, Synagogues
Learning in the classroom about this land and then immediately walking out the door to personally see it!
Laughing CONSTANTLY (Everyone knows me by my boisterous laughter)
Running through the streets of The Old City exploring
Being Enlightened on Others Religions
Personally discovering the beauties of the world, myself, and the Lord.

 The Doors I Walk Out of Every Day
Living in the bio-dome known as...The JC. 
It is gorgeous.
Noticing the Simple Beauties of the Land
Experiencing a different culture
LOOK AT THESE CHILDREN!  
Beautiful Big Brown Eyes a Thick Head of Hair.
I was invited into this Muslim Family's home to help them write a letter in English and they let me hold their children. The mother is a twin (we bonded) and spoke English.  I was able to see how a family here really lives and ask questions galore. They invited us back to go have a picnic in the park. I love the people here. 
Holding the Stray Cats on the street.
(It was a one-time thing, I prefer not to catch a disease)
Crazy Drivers:Curbs and Side-Walks are Fair Game
The Western Wall
 
Having Lunch and Chilling All Afternoon in The Old City
 
Wonderful Weather
 
Dressing up in the Stores
 
So Many Neat Doors in The Old City

 
My Hysterical Roommates! Jessie.
FHE Activities-Playing games with the local boys
 
Buying Botch-Crotch Sweats
 
The People.
The Sun When it Hits The Dome of the Rock
Cultural Nights: Tonight was Arab Night
We had the two men who perform the Call to Prayer 5x a Day come and recite the prayer and demonstrate how they pray. Unbelievable. BYUJ has quite the connections.
 
Here we are with Ayman-our Arabic Teacher
We had yummy Arabic Food and Learned an Arabic Dance in the Gym.

Well it may appear that all we do is play and do not even go to school.....we do. I have a 15 page mid-term paper due in two days so unfortunately I must stop blogging now.  I wish these pictures could more accurately portray what I see and experience on a daily basis but this will have to do. Love Rach.

4 comments:

  1. Love it all. Love, love picture of The Dome through window with the cross. Love pic of candles. Do not know about the cat pictue.

    It is wonderful for me to see your smiling face.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice blog going here Rachel. Your writing is thoughtful and the pics are really great also. Wish I could read more about your sister as well. I can't be there in the Holy Land, but seeing it though your eyes is kinda nice. Thanks. Looking forward to future posts from you.
    Love from the Allreds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious, simply glorious! Looks like you are just thriving, keep it up! I love you, Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha Thank you all for commenting, I am so glad my posts are well received. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete