Saturday, February 26, 2011

HeZeKiAh's TuNNeL-The Voyage Under the City of David

 
Hezekiah's Tunnel is a tunnel that was dug underneath The City of David in Jerusalem before 701 B.C.E. during the reign of Hezekiah. (2Kings 20:20)
 
THIS IS THE CITY OF DAVID 
 I am touching a wall that existed in the time of MELCHIZEDEK (Genesis 14-King of Salem)
 
Rockin' the parka, Asics, bball shorts, skirt, and the head lamp
We had to pull up our skirts (hence the B-Ball Shorts) to wade through the water in the tunnel. Equipped with my handy-dandy head light and all the excitement in the world, I was ready for the voyage under the city!

The Bible tells us that King Hezekiah prepared Jerusalem for an impending siege by the Assyrians, by blocking the source of the waters of the upper Gihon and leading them straight down on the west to the City of David" (2 Chronicles 32). The tunnel was designed as an aqueduct to provide Jerusalem with water during the impending siege of the Assyrians (Sennacherib).
 
The curving tunnel is 533 m long.
Periodically we would all turn off our head lamps and wade in the water: Pitch Black
Boys (always thinking their funny:)) would hide and crouch in the crevices to scare us. 
I won't lie, they got me a few times.
The tunnel was excavated by two teams, one starting at each end of the tunnel and then meeting in the middle. The difficulty of meeting up is very apparent as the tunnel is extremely curvy and uneven. 
Side Effects: Claustrophobia
 
 
Surprisingly, I was one of the select few who were completely drenched as we all piled out of the tunnel. 
I happen to be caught up in the biggest water fight under the city. 
Freezing.
 The tunnel leads from the Gihon Spring to the Pool of Siloam. 
We gathered around this pool as Brother Muhelstein read from John 9.  
(This is the location the Savior heals a born blind man.)
"He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight." -John 9:11
Not only this but the Jews realize (Versus 33-34) Jesus Christ is no ordinary man;
He performed the impossible.
The amazing thing: The Savior never ceased healing. 
He can heal us today just like He healed this blind man.
Jesus Christ lives and His power is real.
Incredible Moment here at the Pool of Siloam.

1 comment:

  1. The Real Voyage!

    I was enjoying my cool calm walk in the waters of Hezekiah's Tunnel when to my surprise I was splashed by a pretty girl named Rachel. I couldn't help but play along, and soon...we were both drenched!

    ReplyDelete