Sunday, February 20, 2011

Neot Kedumim Field

 
Happy Valentines Day!!!
Today the Jerusalem Clan went to Neot Kedumim for a field trip. The land was absolutely beautiful. This field trip was centered around agriculture and the little beauties that make Jerusalem, Jerusalem.

Sheep Herding! 
Secret: The sheep follow the goats,the only problem was getting the goats to follow us. Hysterical. 
The closest thing I got to a kiss on Valentines Day :)
We then went to a well.  This is a well similar to the ones used in the Bible. We talked about Jacob and Rachel and other Bible stories with wells. Due to the fact that my name is Rachel, I got to draw water for the class ;)
We ate fresh date honey from the trees
Jerusalem is known for its Almond Trees
We ground up our own Hysop. This spice is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S on bread and reknown for its healing powers.
Making Home-Made Pitas.  
Just sprinkle a little hysop or date honey and it's golden.
You bet we made the fire to cook the Pitas. 
There I am with Taylor and Caleb, my little cub scout!
Look at that Log Cabin! :)
Jared caught a Chameleon and let me hold it! 
It really does change colors.
I love my friends!!!
The only Frowny-Faces I could muster out since I have been here; I am living a dream!!!!
We also had the opportunity to run in a water wheel and experience a job that many individuals experienced throughout history in order to sustain life in their communities.
I am not going to lie, that was quite a task; I felt like a dizzy. little hamster.
We had the privilege of hearing a Jewish scribe read from this 200 year-old Torah (the first five books of Moses) and give explanations on these other sacred relics pertaining to the Jewish religion. 
I learned so many neat facts about Judaism.
"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."
-Talmud
(The Talmud is the collection of Jewish law and tradition consisting of Mishnah and the Gemara)

1 comment: