Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gethsemane, Golgotha, and Jericho!





Golgotha
My Roommates and I at the Garden Tomb

The Garden Tomb
This past Sabbath, I had the opportunity to go to Golgotha and the Garden Tomb. We were led into this luscious garden; red flowers were blooming and green vegetation drooped over the pathways. We walked to Golgotha. I sat and listened to the guide explain the historical significance.  The spirit shot through my body like lightening.  This is the location Christ was crucified.  “Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death. And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.” (Matt 20:18-19) I just imagined the site 2000 years prior.  I sat silently in awe. The Savior of the entire world died for me at this place.  I then went to the Garden Tomb.  There is skepticism about the accuracy of this exact tomb being the tomb that Christ rose from but it is in the near vicinity.  President Gordon B. Hinckley, standing at the Garden Tomb, made the following statement: “Just outside the walls of Jerusalem, in this place or somewhere nearby, was the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, where the body of the Lord was interred.”   Aside from that, there are numerous scriptural facts proving the accuracy of this area holding the location of the actual tomb. The neat thing is it does not matter which tomb is the exact tomb Christ rose from after three days because the fact is….He rose, it is empty. The Savior lives! He broke the bands of death.  I know this to be true with all that I am; I can feel it in my bones.  I have been greatly informed of the many religions’ interpretations of Christ throughout the week. We believe He is the Savior and Redeemer of the world, some claim He does not exist and others believe Jesus Christ to be a prophet but not a Savior and are still waiting for His arrival.  I cannot imagine nor would want to live a life without The Savior.  As found in Psalms 16, the fullness of joy is found in the Lord’s presence. I echo David’s words in Psalms 18: “The Lord is my rock and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. The Lord liveth; blessed be my rock; let the God of my salvation be exalted.” He lives, He lives, He lives.


Today we had the incredible opportunity to journey to Jericho.  Cara-vanning in our gigantic buses, our class made many pivotal point stops: Herod’s Winter Palace in Jericho, Tel Es-Sultan, Mt. of Temptation, Elijah’s spring (which I had the opportunity to drink from), and the Road to Jericho. The theme of the adventure: the Savior’s trip from Jericho to Jerusalem.  
Herod's Winter Palace


                                                                   
Jericho is the oldest city on earth.




Wabi-Quelt aka The Road to Jericho.  This is the vast wilderness between Jericho and Jerusalem. The Savior walked this land.  The Savior came here to commune with God. This photograph does not fully capture the beauty. This place is the definition of peace and serenity.



On the Road the Jericho. This is the ST. George Monastery. How cool is this?!! Just below this monastery is the location where the parable of the Good Samaritan occurred. We sang "A Poor Wayfaring Man Of Grief" here.  Incredibly Moving.  
 Tell-es- Sultan. THIS IS THE WALL THAT FELL FOR JOSHUA IN JERICHO!!!  I have heard this story a million times growing up and now I am here!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL, You were blessed to have been their, Thanks for the pictures and God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete