Saturday, March 26, 2011

RUNNING UNITED THE WORLD TODAY IN JERU

Drum Roll Please........

A week ago, riots and bus bombings consumed the news and the streets.  However, today the streets of Jerusalem were closed for a different reason… On March 26, 2011 Jerusalem held their FIRST MARATHON EVER!!!!!  Over 10,000 people from various countries across the world fled to this beautiful city to run. I made a few friends from South Africa. 

Although we all arrived home from Galilee a few hours earlier, a group of students and I got up at 5:45am to run in the 10k/Half Marathon (The Full Marathon would be complete stupidity.)  Due the entire city being shut down, we walked an hour to the starting line. Warm-Up Anyone? American Music was booming throughout the streets.  We danced and cheered the marathoners that past as we made our way over to the Knesset.  I could not contain my joy, I WAS IN MY ELEMENT.  THIS IS MY KIND OF ENVIRONMENT.

Our races started at 8! The Scriptures definitely have it right; this is a land of HILLS AND VALLEYS!!!!! The course was either a ninety-degree incline or a decline.  By the end of the race, I wanted to rip my calves off :) but I enjoyed every second nonetheless.

 
Inspirational Moments:

1.We saw multiple people leading blind individuals as they ran the marathon. Moving.
2.Almost every man that ran around me was wearing a kippah. One man held his kippah on the entire race.  Talk about dedication.
3.We ran through the streets of the Old City. How many people can say they have raced through the Old City?
                4.Butchers and Bakers came out on the streets to cheer the runners on. No hostility here.
                5.Many men and women ran with flags to show their support for Israel
6.Muslims, Jews, Africans, Italians, Brazilians, Americans, etc. were all represented in the race.  We all wore blue or lime-green shirts. Everyone was equal.  Running broke the barriers and the divisions and we all joined together in the streets. Running united the world today in Jerusalem.
7. As we made our long journey back home, I started to get teary-eyed as I watched the marathoners finish.  I have a deep love and respect for these beautiful people, these are my people. 



3 comments:

  1. Ummm... This is so rad. I'm completely envious, but am so stoked for you! And now that you've had your fun COME HOME DANGGIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRIS,

    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?! I MISS YOU. SERIOUSLY. CHELS AND I WILL BE HOME IN 3 WEEKS AND THEN WE CAN BOND LIKE OLD TIMES!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, but any more than 3 weeks and I'm personally coming to wherever it is you are and fetching you myself.

    ReplyDelete