Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Melting Pot of Religion

I spend much of my free time every day in the old city. 
  
Jerusalem is the Holy City to three prominent Religions: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

I want you to see what i see on a daily basis: 

inspiring.

Christianity:

The Church of the Holy Seplechure 
To many, this site is venerated as Golgotha, where Christ was crucified, and the place where he was buried. (We do not believe this but many christian flood in from all parts of the world on a daily basis here)
 
The Anointing Stone
 
The Terrae Sanctae-holds one of the most gorgeous chapels in all Jerusalem
Orson Hyde's name carved His name into this door when he traveled to Jerusalem

Israeli soldiers-young men and young women who are citizens of Israel are required to serve when they are young adults. most are my age!

Judaism:

The Western Wall- The Western Wall is the most sacred site in Judaism, outside the Temple Mount.  For centuries, the Western Wall was the only place Herodian stonework was visible.  These Herodian stones, date back to 19 BCE, where the only visible remainder of the Jewish temple complex remained that Herod built before Rome destroyed it in AD 70.  

One Thursday afternoon, I spent over an hour sitting in the women’s section praying, watching, and pondering.  The Jewish women are simply inspiring.  I went up and gently placed my forehead to the wall and bore my soul to Heavenly Father (Even though many of our beliefs differ, We are all praying to the same God). After some time, I opened my eyes and looked on either side of me and saw women, young and old, fervently praying and placing their prayers, small notes, into the cracks of the wall.  These women exemplify strength through their silent, humble actions.   

 

Bar Mitzvah Celebrations line the streets in the old city. Party.

Islam:
Cute little boys at the dome of the Rock.
This is a top secret pic that I "schnicked" (Kris's word)  from a professor...just for you:)
I DID NOT TAKE THIS PICTURE. UNLESS YOU ARE A MUSLIM, YOU CANNOT ENTER the Dome of the Rock 

The Dome of the Rock is an extremely sacred site for the Muslims. At the heart of this site lays the Foundation Stone, where Abraham took Ishmael(they believe it was Ishmael not Isaac) to be sacrificed and the location where Muhammad ascended into the seventh heaven upon the back of a white winged horse named al-Barak. After Muhammad’s return, he called all who would believe him to be Muslim and Islam came into existence.
each religion and people have taught me something about life and add a different little spice to the city.
in a nut shell: I love this city and I love its people. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a close up of the Orson Hyde carved name? If you happen to have one I would love it, as he is my great great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have a close up of this name but my professor may have one. I could ask him if you would like?

    ReplyDelete