Monday, January 10, 2011

Every Morning I get up to this view! Am I completely blessed or what? 
(These photographs do not do justice.)


                     Top of The Austrian Hospice. It looks out over the entire Old City. Breathtaking.

Two of my roommates (Kaitlyn and Jessica) and I in the Old City. They are both 5'4, so it appears I am a giant :) I love these girls so much already!  I have developed friendships that I will hopefully have forever!
People are a big part of a place. The streets of The Old City are lined with people, just like this man, selling goods. This is a common sight.
We walked on the wall around the entire Old City. Absolutely gorgeous! 
Today, we went AROUND the entire circumference of the City and UNDERNEATH (Zedekiah's Tunnel)
(Do you love the boy cargo pants and fanny pack look or what?:))
Returning to the center, soaked from the rain, after an adventurous day!
The Garden of Gethsemane. I cannot begin to describe in words how incredible this moment truly was.
The Lord Lives!
This is what I look like on field trips!!! We all caravan in buses and travel to different sites. We have headphones in order to hear our Professor. It is required that we become avid note takers. I try to soak up all of the information because this is an opportunity of a life time. The most incredible blessing about field trips is our ability to open up our scriptures and read a story and then directly apply it to the land. The direct access to the geography of the Bible, enables each Biblical story to become real to me.
I will never read the Bible the same again.
We have been to many incredible Churches and sacred sites for various religions. This is an apse of one that we visited today. It is on the Mt. of Olives, the Augusta Victoria Tower. My professor felt impressed to have me be in charge of the music for the field trips. I am still diligently learning all of the beauties that music has to offer and I am very grateful for this opportunity.  The acoustics are incredible in this chapel. I led the students in a few hymns and then they asked if I would sing as well. Brock (this was the boy who was our guide in the airport for those who were there) and I sang a duet in this Church today. We sang How Great Thou Art. I love to sing!!! It was an incredible opportunity to bring the spirit and sing in one of the most incredible sites in Jerusalem.
Look at that view! The steps to the left of my head are steps that Christ literally walked on 2000 years ago! 
                                                                            Golgotha
Change of plans...I am now currently a sister missionary! haha (when we took this we noticed that we happened to look a lot like sister missionaries) This stone is an actual stone from Saul's Palace.
 This was one of the most sacred sites I visited thus far. Most believe this is the place The Savior was convicted. As I walked into this sacred place, birds were chirping and a woman was watering the flowers. However, I knew that this wasn't always a calm and peaceful place. This is regarded to many as the exact location the Jews screamed to have Christ crucified. He came out on the balcony right above this courtyard square. (It is cut off in this picture). This humble, little church seen in the photograph has immaculate artwork and stained glass inside. This is believed by many to be one place where Christ was beaten and scourged.
I am learning so much about Christ's life. The gospel is coming alive!
BYU Jerusalem Entrance
I AM HAVING AN EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME!

2 comments:

  1. Rach... This is incredible! I am so happy for you... Honestly what an experience. I am so glad you got to go. And I am so glad you are keeping a blog!!! P.S. I sent you an email with some important details about my life, will you let me know if you don't get it? LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH RACH THAT LOOKS AND SOUNDS WONDERFUL!!! And i see you are bonding with sar :) that makes me happy! I am so glad you are learning so much and having such great experiences! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete