Monday, January 31, 2011

EGYPT-A Vacation on Steroids!!!!

After 8 days of journeying across the Sinai Desert, walking in the sand dunes, boating up the Nile, venturing inside multiple pyramids, laughing hysterically on camels, flying from Cairo to Luxor and then taking a crazy midnight train ride back to Cairo, and pushing the security guards’ to their wits end as we dodged all riots, I HAVE ARRIVED SAFELY BACK TO THE JC CENTER!!! I am sorry there was no form of communication but I am here to inform you that I am alive.  I am safe.  I was not caught in any riots or form of violence that has been plastered on the news the past week.  The BYU Security team avoided any and all forms of violence.  I did not feel threatened at any moment.  We were blessed beyond belief, if we would have arrived even one day later in Egypt, everything would have been canceled and we would not have been able to enter or exit the borders.  There were a few change of plans the last few days we were in Cairo due to the violent protests. One of our tour guides, in an attempt to save artifacts in the museums one night after dropping us off, was shot twice in the leg with rubber bullets.  However, he arrived the next morning ready for the new day’s adventures and had a mild limp. Even though, some of the activities were canceled, we, as students, were able to witness history being made.  There was a 6pm curfew all over Cairo and so our hotels were crowded with individuals sleeping in various places.  We would sit in my professor’s hotel room as he explained the governmental system and the events taking place right outside…..it was incredible.  Our professors=absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! We are always safe in their arms. I can say the craziest thing that happened was when our bus hit a pedestrian. Traffic is crazy in Egypt: the road lines are merely designs to drivers here and people run and drive everywhere there is the slightest bit of room.  It is insane.   People run across the street without a care in the world and that is exactly what this one woman did. Anyway, the woman was fine and walked away without critical injuries yet probably gave her a scare.  This trip was seriously an adventure on steroids. My professor says not many other tour groups are able to accomplish and do all that we did in such a short span of time because we have 80-twenty year olds that have the stamina and physical capabilities to do so. This was without a doubt one of THE MOST INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES I HAVE EVER AND WILL EVER GO ON. Let's start from the beginning:
 The first day consisted of driving ALL day in a huge tour bus.  There was occasional stops:Tel Beersheba, Tel Arad, and the Sand Dunes. We journeyed across the barren desert that Lehi and his family crossed.  Prof. Muhlestein shared some insight about the Book of Mormon that will forever change the way I read the Book of Mormon.  Incredible.  At the end of the day, we got the opportunity to run and roll down these gigantic red Desert Dunes. The sand was extremely fine-grained and felt like heaven. I was COVERED from my head to my toes in sand.  We then had a spiritual moment where we all had solo time and sat alone in the desert hills as the sun went down. (Mom, you would have loved this) We then gathered around fires, sang hymns, and shared our thoughts.  I can't remember a time where the spirit overcame me with such a force.  The Savior Lives. There is no doubt that the peoples of the Bible and the Lord communed with God in such an environment.  It is simply beautiful and  free from all distraction.

I AM IN AFRICA!!! (It has been my dream since I was young to go to Africa)

Some of the first things I saw once I entered Egypt: CROWDED
First Sight of the Pyramids
Every House is Unfinished (tax reasons)

The first thing we did upon arriving in Egypt-GO TO THE PYRAMIDS TO WATCH (a cheesy) LIGHT SHOW
P-Y-R-A-M-I-D-S AT GIZA
My Roommates-THESE ARE MY FAVORITE GIRLS
I was SO happy to be here, this picture does not do it justice!
 
A Little Smooch at the Sphinx (It was humorous to watch various individuals all periodically spaced, eyes closed and puckering)
SISTERS! We had the opportunity to go in, on, and around Pyramids!
We took 9 different modes of transportation this week, a Carriage ride through Luxor was one! The others: bus, plane, carriage, sail-boat, foot, camel, taxi, train, and motor-boat.

The fourth day=Valley of the Kings (I saw King Tut's Body), Ramesseum, and Hatshepsut's Funerary Temple. This is Hatshepsut's Temple.  I learned about this two years ago in High School...little did I know I would go in it!!!!

Karnak Temple.  Look at these columns....there are 164 of them.  This temple has the largest Hypostyle Hall in the world!!! Beautiful.

Amazing Architecture Here.  (The Karnak Temple is 1 of the 7 wonders of the Ancient World)

The kids here were SO cute. This was my favorite part about visiting the Luxor Temple :) They are all fascinated by blonde hair (as seen in this picture haha)  The parents will occasionally ask to take pictures with us.  I don't mind because they are absolutely ADORABLE

Boating the Nile was gorgeous and extremely peaceful. The sunset=to die for. It could potentially be romantic for all you couples out there. :) We sailed to the location where we would have a Camel Safari!
This is the Life!!! (I know, I know, this is NOT reality!)
ONE OF MY FAVORITE ADVENTURES THUS FAR= CAMEL SAFARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was a train of 40 camels..and all of my wonderful friends!!!!
One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It was a warm summer night.
I enjoyed freshly harvested sugar cane straight from the field we were paraded through. It was delicious.
I laughed , laughed, and laughed the whole time. Getting on and off can be quite a task! (Mine for some reason loved to repeatedly stand up and sit down....I gained some technique ;)
We then went to the train station after dinner at 7pm to catch a train from Luxor to Cairo. I loved it. There were TINY little train-cabins and all of students ran from various cars to play games and socialize.  We went to bed for two hours and then.....Good Morning!!! (I literally just woke up when this picture was taken.)  We had a 2:30 AM wake up call on the train!!! My roommate poked her little head up from the bottom bunk and snapped a few pics. I appear extremely out of it but I was so happy, I love the constant adventure!

Inside of the Red Pyramid. It is extremely narrow and HOT!!!!  You have to crouch and walk for about 150 hundred yards to the center.  Due to the riots, we had a change of plans. We visited the Red and the Bent Pyramids instead. We then bused all day to MT. Sinai.

We all woke up at 2:30 am to hike up Mt. Sinai.  The moon and the stars lit are path for two hours as we hiked up.  Definitely worked the calves. We made it to the top in time to watch the sunrise. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS !!! God revealed himself to man here. Surreal.
First thing I saw on top! (Kaitlin took these stellar pics)



I'm On Top of the World! (Mom you would have LOVED this hike)
We sang hymns and had a lesson on the top
My favorite Professor! Brother Muhlstein is the most tender and sweet man alive. For some reason, he just adores Chels and I!!!!
God Created a Beautiful World
Back to eating fruits, vegetables, free-disease ridden bathrooms, tap water, and reality. Now we are all utterly exhausted, congested, and have a 7-page paper due tomorrow for our Palestinian class....back to reality (here in Jerusalem that is) but these past 8 days were absolutely mind-blowing!!!!! I am SO grateful, for I know that I will never have an adventure quite like this one again in my life! I hope you enjoy the pictures. I am unbelievably blessed.  I am learning so much about who I am, who Christ is, and what this world has to offer. I am incredibly grateful for my freedom and never want to take it for granted.  I am grateful for my loving family and friends.  I am grateful for our loving Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ. I will talk to you as soon as I can! Love Always, Rach

3 comments:

  1. RACH! it seems so unfair to think i am sitting in class rooms for six hours a day, while you are out parading around the world.:) the picture of you getting off the camel and your back is like at an 80 degree angle is hysterical! i love and miss you. have fun!
    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOSH! That is crazy! Top three favorite things of this post:
    1) the INCREDIBLE one man in that breakfast picture haha
    2) The camels!
    3) Those little kids looking at your hair. haha reminded me of my nephew looking at my eyes hahah
    Love ya, Rach! Stay safe, we are all praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that 10 year old little girl I once knew. I have no right to be sooo proud of you and the woman you have become, but, alas, I can't help myself.

    If you don't see this until.....Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete