Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Teach Me to Teach

I am freeeeeeeeeeee! Yet, I don’t feel so free; rather, I am going through withdrawals...from 276R.


276R was my life

…until now.

276R instilled a deep love and passion for teaching within me.

276R is a class.

A class that I went to for F-O-U-R hours E-V-E-R-Y day to learn how to become a teacher! 

I know, I know, I have heard every argument as to why any another career exceeds that of teaching but in all reality where would we be without teachers? I do recognize there are horrible teachers out there-we have all had our fair share of “Ferris Bueller teachers”-but I am talking about the powerhouse teachers.  I am talking about the teachers who have passion, charisma, and dedication; the teachers who empower their students to fight for a better future.  I am talking about the teachers who really care.

I am here to tell you…TEACHERS ARE INCREDIBLE.

After a series of fingerprinting and background checks, I was equipped with a badge, a BYU badge that allowed me to enter into the various schools to teach and observe. I studied and was trained, with 12 other stellar students, from a spunky professor about how I can become not just an ordinary teacher but a PHENOMENAL teacher :)

Over the past few months, I have had the opportunity to teach numerous Social-Psychology lessons, lessons about Egypt-where I was able to show the students MY pictures of the historical artifacts and landforms they are currently studying…It still find it CRAZY to think I have been there…the Underground Railroad, Islam, Geography and units on Slavery in BYU classrooms and in REAL high school classrooms.  I still catch myself in awe as I teach in these college and high school classrooms.  

I am just a baby… but these are real students and they actually “enjoy” listening to me!

(I won’t mention the fact that I graduated…what…2 years ago? I will be straight up honest, without my name badge, I look like I fit right in there.)

From overflowing, psychology classrooms in public high schools… to barefoot (I am serious, the students don’t wear shoes and they sit on couches rather than in desks) eccentric, charter school Sex-Ed classes.  Needless to say, I have endured quite the spectrum of experiences.  
I have had the opportunities to teach psychology and history lessons to a college class several times so I could be critiqued by a. the students b. the professor c. it was recorded so I could watch and critique myself teach.  Joyous, eh?

The beautiful thing is…I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF 276R!

Although it consumed every part of my life, I have discovered a passion for this career. I love crazy teenagers. I love learning.  I love meeting new people. I love to help others. I love to talk. Ha.

-

 I often find myself staying up late in my room creating my OWN lesson plans.  My mother instilled in me some creativity and I AM USING IT BABY!!!!  I have let my creative juices flow as I think outside of the box to illustrate various principles.
I have created mock juries, poems, songs, showed live court testimonies, and at one point I turned off all the lights and used my running headlight and recited a narrative to my “fellow underground railroad buddies” as dogs (barking noises off of youtube) were hunting us down.  

I plan on continuing my education and going to graduate school. I would love to teach at an inner-city high school. I would also love to travel and teach in various countries abroad. Okay, it’s final, I will teach abroad. The possibilities are endless. I do not know where I will be in the next five years but that is what makes life so exciting.  

As for this moment…I love to teach.


I decided to throw this vid in.  I am obsessed. 
I am all about "powerhouse" teachers.
P.S. This film is based on a true story. There are teachers like this out there :)
 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Rachel! I could feel your enthusiasm and love for teaching radiating off my screen!

    ReplyDelete